Rembrandt (full name Rembrandt Harmenz van Rijn) was born on July 15, 1606 in Leiden, the second city as size in Holland. Rembrandt is one of the most important painters in Europe.
Biography and Career :
Rembrandt was the son of a miller, his mother was a baker's daughter. As a boy he attended Latin school and was enrolled at the University of Leiden one of the most famous in Europe.
Until the age of 40 he had a successful career. He moved to Amsterdam where he had a success after another, and at the age of 26 he managed to finish "Anatomy Lesson Of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp".
Rembrandt married with a descendent of a wealthy family, which took his social life to a higher level and moved in a big house on Breestraat. At the apogee of his career in 1642 Rembrandt finished his ma
jor group portrait work "The Night Watch".
In the same year 1642 Rembrandt's wife, Saskia ended up his life. Her testament said that his husband couldn't touch the fortune. The only heir was their son, Titus. He liked to spend money on the life's pleasures and even though he had many orders he soon began to have problems. In 1656 he was a bankrupt. Rembrandt had to sell the house to pay the debts.
He moved with his son and a servant, Hendrickje Stoffels, in a cheap place next to Amsterdam.
With all the material problems it seemed that he had a good life and could paint whenever he wanted, but unfortunately Hendrickje died in 1663 and after 6 years in 1669 Titus. Those two tragedies made his life ugly in the end and soon after his son's death he died too on the 4th of October.
Important Paintings :
- 1629 "An Artist in His Studio" (The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Massachusetts)
- 1630 "The Raising of Lazarus" (Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles)
- 1632 "Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp" (Mauritshuis, The Hague)
- 1633 "Christ in the Storm on the Lake of Galilee" (formerly at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston; stolen in 1990 and still at large)
- 1642 "The Militia Company of Captain Frans Banning Cocq" ("The Night Watch") (Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam)
- 1658 "Selfportrait" (Frick Collection, New York)
- 1666 "Lucretia" (The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis)
- 1669 "Return of the Prodigal Son" (State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg)
- Choose only one master - Nature.
- Practise what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know.
- Painting is the grandchild of nature. It is related to God.
Rembrandt Image : wikipedia.org