James Joyce (full name James Augustine Aloysius Joyce) was born on February 2, 1882 in the Dublin suburb of Rathgar, Ireland. He was an Irish writer and poet. He is considered to be one of the most influential writers of the 20th century.
Biography and Career :
He is considered to be the greatest Irish writer. He died in Zurich, Switzerland in 1941, at the age of 58.
One of the famous writers in the universal literature of the 20th century, James Joyce was a real model for the entire world of romantic writers.
His work is concise, but complex at the same time. For example, the novel "Ulysses": the action takes place in Dublin, in a daytime, although the author narrates the ten years travel of Homer in Odyssey.
James Joyce is known for his inner complex literary ana
lysis. His characters are full of humor, intellectual and very profound. At a general idea of his literary activity, we may praise James Joyce for the one and only way he managed to celebrate life.
- He had a lifelong fear of dogs, after being savaged by a dog in Dublin when he was five.
- He was a friend of the Irish writer and doctor Oliver St John Gogarty, who became the original of Buck Mulligan in the novel "Ulysses".
- He and Nora Barnacle had a son and a daughter, named Giorgio and Lucia.
- He was living in Paris when the Germans occupied it in 1940. He quickly fled to Switzerland.
- In 2004, an erotic letter from Joyce to Nora Barnacle was sold at Sotheby's for $445,000, which is still the auction record for a twentieth century letter.
- He was buried in the Fluntern Cemetery, Zurich, Switzerland, which is so close to the Zurich Zoo that the zoo's lions can be heard from his grave. His wife Nora and their son Georgio are buried in the same plot.
- Although he was always interested in drama, Joyce published only one play, "Exiles".
- "A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery."
- "A man's errors are his portals of discovery."
- "Christopher Columbus, as everyone knows, is honored by posterity because he was the last to discover America."
- "I am tomorrow, or some future day, what I establish today. I am today what I established yesterday or some previous day."
- "Irresponsibility is part of the pleasure of all art; it is the part the schools cannot recognize."
- Stephen Hero (written 1904-6: precursor to the Portrait, published 1944)
- Chamber Music (1907 poems)
- Dubliners (1914)
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)
- Exiles (1918 play)
- Ulysses (1922)
- Pomes Penyeach (1927 poems)
- Finnegans Wake (1939).
James Joyce Image : lucidcafe.com
James Joyce Lists