Beth Orton was born on December 14, 1970 in Norfolk, England, UK. She is a singer and songwriter.
Biography and Career :
She spent the childhood in Norwich and in 1984 moved to East London. Because her father abandoned her mother when she was eleven years old, she grew up with her two brothers and her mother. In 1989 she lost her mother who suffered of cancer. She started traveling to Thailand and working. She had a catering company and after years she achieved success as a singer. She attended the Anna Scher Theatre School.
Her music career began after meeting William Orbit. Her first album was released in Japan in 1993 and it was called "SuperPinkyMandy". Between 1996 and 2006 she released another six albums: "Trailer Park", "Central Reservation", "Daybreaker", "The Other
Side of Daybreak", "Pass In Time: The Definitive Collection" and "Comfort of Strangers".
In 2000 her talent and work were recognized after she received a Brit Award for British Female Solo Artist. After six years she was expecting a child, a baby girl. She has collaborated with the Chemical Brothers. Some of the movies and television shows she composed music for are "Felicity", "How to Deal" and "Vanilla Sky". Her music is very popular. She sings folk and electronica.
- Height: 183 cm
- In 2003 she attended and sang at the anti-war "One Big No" concert at Shepherd's Bush Empire, London.
- She suffers from Crohn's Disease.
- "Before you worry about what genre it is, about whether it's a loop or a drum, it's about what suits the song. It's using what's within your reach, but also reaching for everything you can. I don't know if I always get it right, because I don't know every sound yet."
- "I listen to different things and they seep into my music. I keep looking for new sounds, but I never let go of the old ones... Everything that's ever been important to me is still important."
- 1993 SuperPinkyMandy
- 1996 Trailer Park
- 1999 Central Reservation
- 2002 Daybreaker
- 2003 The Other Side of Daybreak
- 2003 Pass In Time: The Definitive Collection
- 2006 Comfort of Strangers.
- Southlander: Diary of a Desperate Musician (2001).
Beth Orton Image : rollingstone.com
Beth Orton Lists