Ani DiFranco (birth name Angela Maria Difranco) was born on September 23, 1970 in Buffalo, New York, USA. She is a songwriter and singer.
Biography and Career :
She loved music ever since she was a child and at nine years old she played the guitar. After nine years she founded her own record company "Righteous Records" which was renamed Righteous Babe Records in 1994. She started releasing albums in 1990, the first one being "Ani DiFranco". Between 1990 and 2007 she released seventeen albums.
On May 30, 1998 she married Andrew Gilchrist, but the couple is now divorced. In January 2007 was born Petah Lucia, her daughter. One year earlier she won the "Woman of Courage Award" at the National Organization for Women (NOW) Conference and Young Feminist Summit in Albany. Her caree
r became a successful from the beginnings and she has fans in the entire world.
In Buffalo the media considers her "Buffalo's leading lady of rock music". In 2004 with the "Evolve" album she won a Grammy Award for Best Recording Package and during the years received other nominations. 2005 was the year when she lost her father. She sings urban folk and plays the guitar, bass guitar, percussion and piano. Her music is popular all over the world and during the years she became a famous and appreciated folk singer.
- Height: 157 cm
- She is a feminist.
- She was placed on the 90th position in VH1's 100 Greatest Women of Rock N Roll list.
- Her recording studio in Buffalo was an old church.
- She has American, Italian and Jewish origins.
- "Who has turned feminism into a dirty word? One of the things that bugs the s**t out of me is the fact that we can't even use the word "feminist" these days. It's been made taboo by a conservative media. The feminist movement in this country is one of the most powerful human liberation movements the planet has seen... so, to let this sort of conservative culture steal the feminist history from our consciousness and steal the respect from the people who fought and died so we could have such liberty is a travesty."
- "All decent people, male and female, are feminists. The only people who are not feminists are those who believe that women are inherently inferior or undeserving of the respect and opportunity afforded men. Either you are a feminist or you are a sexist/misogynist. There is no box marked "other"."
- "I could wake up screaming sometimes, but I don't. I could step off the end of this pier, but I've got sh*t to do."
- "Maybe you don't like your job. Maybe you didn't get enough sleep. Well, nobody likes their job. Nobody got enough sleep. Maybe you just had the worst day of your life. But, you know, there's no escape and there's no excuse. So just suck up and be nice."
- 1990 Ani DiFranco
- 1991 Not So Soft
- 1992 Imperfectly
- 1993 Puddle Dive
- 1993 Like I Said: Songs 1990-91
- 1994 Out of Range
- 1995 Not a Pretty Girl
- 1996 Dilate
- 1998 Little Plastic Castle
- 1999 Up Up Up Up Up Up
- 1999 To the Teeth
- 2001 Revelling/Reckoning
- 2003 Evolve
- 2004 Educated Guess
- 2005 Knuckle Down
- 2006 Reprieve
- 2007 Canon.
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (1 episode, 2005)
- King of the Hill (1 episode, 1998).
Ani DiFranco Image : mtv.com
Ani DiFranco Lists