Vasile Alecsandri was born on July 21, 1821 in Bacau, Romania. He was a famous Romanian academician, writer, poet.
Biography and Career :
He is the son of Vasile Alecsandri and Elena Cazoni.
In 1827 after his family moved in Iasi, Romania, Vasile Alecsandri took private lessons with Gherman Vida. In 1828, his father bought land in Mircesti, Lunca Siretului.
Vasile Alecsandri starts writing in French, between 1835-1839. His debut is a short story called "Buchetiera din Florenta", in "Literary Dacia".
In 1837 he leaves country for Paris where he studied together with Alexandru Ioan Cuza and Negulici - the Painter.
In 1838, Vasile Alecsandri writes his first essays in French : Zunarilla, Marie, Les Brigands, Le Petit Rameau, Serata.
In 1840 he becomes the director
of the National Theatre in Iasi, together with M.
Kogalniceanu and C. Negruzzi. His first play is"The Pharmazon from Harlan".
During the Revolution in 1848 he publishes "Protest in the Name of Moldova, Mankind and God", in Brasov. In November, he goes to Paris in order to sustain the causes of the Revolution.
Between 1856-1859 struggles for the Union of Romanian Countries abroad. Soon, he gives up politics. He writes "Pastels" (1875) and publishes "Our Soldiers". He dies in 1890, in Mircesti.
From his writings we mention:
- poetry: "Ballads"(1852-1853), "The Heroes from Plevna" (1878), "Legends" (1875), "The Cursed Plough"(1888)
- prose: "Journey to Africa "(1855-1874), "Vasile Porojan"(1880)
- theatre: "Chirita in Iasi"(1850), "Arvinte and Pelea"(1866), "Despot Voda"(1879), "Ovidiu"(1885)
- From 1828 to 1834 he was in hospital together with Mihail Kogalniceanu
- In 1855 he falls in love with Paulina Lucasievici and they had a daughter named Maria in November 1857. They got married on October 3, 1876
- In 1860 he established himself in Mircesti for the rest of his life
- In 1863 in Iasi, Junimea Society was founded. Vasile Alecsandri had been its honor member for the rest of his life.
Vasile Alecsandri Image : wikimedia.org