Pablo Picasso (full name Pablo Ruiz y Picasso) was born on October 25, 1881 in Malaga
, Spain. He was a famous Spanish Cubist Painter and Sculptor.
Biography and Career :
In childhood his parents remarked Pablo Picasso's talent and cultivated it. They said that when the father saw his son's painting offered his own brush and swore never to paint again.
Pablo Picasso's preparation started at the Art Academy Lonja in Barcelona
, but since 1900 he had spent a lot of time in Paris
, where he decided to stay for good in 1904.
The reserved situation of the "Blue Period" also refle
cted the poor financial situation.
In Pablo Picasso's next style, the "Pink Period", the themes were more optimist than and the painting were sold very good.
Almost in the same period he was influenced by Paul Cezanne
's works and the African sculptures and painted "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" in 1907. With this work he created the current called cubism.
When the First World War started it broke a relationship between two friends: Picasso and Braque. The last one enlisted in the French army.
In 1917 Pablo Picasso was invited in Rome to create the decors of Diaghilev's ballet show "Parada".
Pablo Picasso married Olga Khokhlova, a ballerina with Sergei Diaghilev's troupe in 1918.
The journey to Rome
stimulated Pablo Picasso and he created many wonderful paintings with classical themes.
In the 30's he started painting violent and pessimistic works, because he divorced.
After 1946 he lived especially in the South of France where, inspired by the local ceramist's works, he stopped on pottery.
The paintings Pablo Picasso painted after the Second World War didn't reach the level of his first ones considering the artistic genius, but a lot of them are innovators.
The influence of Pablo Picasso on a whole generation of artists is huge. The great number of works and domains showed that there always existed new possibilities which deserve to be explored.
Pablo Picasso passed away on April 8, 1973 in Mougins, France.
Important Works :
1903 "La Vie"
1905 "Femme iá la chemise"
1905 "Garižon iá la pipe"
1906 "Autoportrait iá la palette"
1906 "Portrait de Gertrude Stein"
1907 "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon"
1908 "Composition avec ti¬te de mort"
1908 "Trois femmes"
1910 "Le guitariste"
1921 "Musiciens aux masques" ("Three Musicians")
1922 "Deux femmes courant sur la plage"
1923 "Los Enamorados"
1923 "Harlequin" ("Arlequin")
1925 "The Dance"
1929 "Nude in a red armchair"
1932 "Le Reve" ("The Dream")
- "Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don't start measuring her limbs."
- "Art is never chaste. It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with those not sufficiently prepared. Yes, art is dangerous. Where it is chaste, it is not art."
- "If there is something to steal, I steal it!"
- "Painting is stronger than me, it makes me do its bidding."
- In 1937 he painted "Guernica".
- During the Second World War the painter stayed in France.
- In 1961 Pablo Picasso married Jacqueline Roque.
- The painter had four children: Paulo, Maya, Claude and Paloma.
Picasso's Dates :
Olga Koklova (1918)
Jacqueline Roque (1961)
Pablo Picasso Image : artquotes.net