Luther Vandross (full name Luther Ronzoni Vandross) was born on April 20, 1951 in New York, New York
, USA and he was a musician and record producer. Unfortunately he died on July 1, 2005 in Edison, New Jersey, USA after complications from a stroke.
Biography and Career :
He had attended William Howard Taft High School in Bronx, New York. The person who discovered him is David Bowie. He was a great singer, songwriter and especially a great person.
In 1968 he started his career and year after year he was becoming more popular and loved. He had collaborations with labels as Cotillion, Epic, Virgin, J and Legacy.
His first album was released in 1976 and it was called simply "Luther". Besides that he release
d another 33. Some of his hit singles are "Never Too Much", "Since I Lost My Baby", "If Only For One Night", "There's Nothing Better Than Love", "She Won't Talk to Me" or "Power of Love/Love Power".
During the years he had won many awards, for example eight Grammy Awards including Best Male R&B Vocal Performance four times. He was a special person and millions of people cried when they heard the news of his death.
- Height: 188 cm
- His nickname was Ronnie.
- Besides him his parents had another three children.
- Patti LaBelle
and Aretha Franklin
were two of his close friends.
- He suffered of high pressure, obesity and diabetes.
- "I'd like to be remembered as a premier singer of songs, not just a popular act of a given period."
- "To me, the album is a blueprint of what the songs can be. You get the real thing live."
- Touched by an Angel (1 episode, 2002)
- The Meteor Man (1993)
- Saturday Night Live (2 episodes, 1982-1989)
- The Wiz (1978/I) (voice) (uncredited)
Image source : © UPI.com
Luther Vandross Lists