Kathy Bates (birth name Kathleen Doyle Bates) was born on June 28, 1948 in Memphis, Tennessee, USA. She is an Academy Award-winning American theatrical, film, and television actress, and a stage and television director.
Biography and Career :
She is the daughter of Bertye Kathleen (nee Talbot), a homemaker, and Langdon Doyle Bates, a mechanical engineer After she graduated from White Station High School in Memphis she attended Southern Methodist University, majoring in theatre and also became a member of Alpha Delta Pi sorority.
After she graduated in 1969 she moved in New York
one year later in order to become a famous actress. She started her career working on Broadway and her first play was "Vanities".
She won the "Outer Critics Circle Award" for the role in "'Night, Mother".
Other plays in which she appeared were Terrence McNally's 1987 "Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune", "Fifth of July", and " Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean".
Her real big success came in 1990 when she played in "Misery" a role of a psychopathic woman who kidnap and torture her idol who was a great writer. She was awarded with Oscar for the Best Actress and also she received a Golden Globe Award. After this she appeared in other good movies like: "Fried Green Tomatoes", "Dolores Claiborne" and "Primary Colors".
In 2002 was nominated again to Academy Awards for the performance in 'About Schmidt". As a producer she started in 1990 and made some episodes from movies like Homicide: Life on the Street, NYPD Blue, Oz, Six Feet Under, Everwood, Dash and Lilly and the self-starring Ambulance Girl.
- Height: 160cm
- Her nickname is Bobo.
- She was married with Tony Campisi from 1991 to 1997 when they divorced.
- She was nominated for Emmy Awards for seven times.
- She is the Executive Committee Chair of the Actors Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Board of Governors.
- "The Oscar changed everything. Better salary, working with better people, better projects, more exposure, less privacy."
- "I thought it was wonderful to see a love story about people over forty, ordinary people who were trying to connect. We haven't seen it before, and I don't think we will see it with this movie Frankie and Johnny."
- "When I was told Terry Bradshaw would be playing my husband, I was like 'The star-quarterback Terry Bradshaw?"
- Taking Off (1971)
- Straight Time (1978)
- Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
- Two of a Kind (1983)
- The Morning After (1986)
- Summer Heat (1987)
- My Best Friend Is a Vampire (1988)
- Arthur 2: On the Rocks (1988)
- Signs of Life (1989)
- High Stakes (1989)
- Men Don't Leave (1990)
- Dick Tracy (1990)
- White Palace (1990)
- Misery (1990)
- At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)
- Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
- The Road to Mecca (1992)
- Shadows and Fog (1992)
- Prelude to a Kiss (1992)
- Used People (1992)
- A Home of Our Own (1993)
- North (1994)
- Curse of the Starving Class (1994)
- Dolores Claiborne (1995)
- Angus (1995)
- Diabolique (1996)
- The War at Home (1996)
- Swept from the Sea (1997)
- Titanic (1997)
- Primary Colors (1998)
- The Effects of Magic (1998) (voice)
- The Waterboy (1998)
- A Civil Action (1998)
- Annie (1999)
- The Dress Code (2000)
- Rat Race (2001)
- American Outlaws (2001)
- Love Liza (2002)
- Dragonfly (2002)
- About Schmidt (2002)
- Unconditional Love (2002)
- Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
- Little Black Book (2004)
- The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing (2004) (documentary) (narrator)
- The Bridge of San Luis Rey (2004)
- Rumour Has It (2005)
- Failure to Launch (2006)
- Relative Strangers (2006)
- Bonneville (2006)
- Charlotte's Web (2006) (voice)
- Bee Movie (2007) (voice)
- Fred Claus (2007)
- The Golden Compass (2007) (voice)
- PS, I Love You (2007)
- Revolutionary Road (2008).
Kathy Bates Image : solarnavigator.net
Kathy Bates News
Kathy Bates Lists