Kate Winslet (birth name Kate Elizabeth Winslet) was born on October 5, 1975 in Reading, Berkshire, England, UK. She is a five-time Academy Award-nominated, Emmy Award-nominated, BAFTA, Grammy and Screen Actors Guild Award-winning English actress.
Biography and Career :
She was born in an actors' family: her grandparents, Oliver and Linda Bridges, founded and operated the Reading Repertory theater; father Roger Winslet and mum Sally were both actors; uncle Robert Bridges appeared in the original West End production of Oliver!; and both her sisters Beth and Anna are actors.
She started her acting career at the age of eleven when she played in a television commercial for kid's cereals. At the same age she started take acting lesson and she continued in the high school. Her fi
rst success was in 1994 in "Heavenly Creatures", a movie with no great actors but which was appreciated by critics.
After one year she got a role in Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility and her performance was very good so she was awarded with a British Academy Award and an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. In 1996 she played in Jude and in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. The movie that transformed her into an international star was James Cameron's "Titanic"
where she played opposite Leonardo Di Caprio
The success with Titanic was incredible. After this she turned down two lead roles in Shakespeare
in Love (1998) and Anna and the King (1999) and she took roles in Hideous Kinky (1998) and Holy Smoke (1999).
Kate handles the record for the youngest actress ever honored with four Academy Award nominations, at the age of 29. After 2000 Kate appeared in a lot of other successful movies like: "Iris", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Finding Neverland" and "Little Children".
- Height: 169cm
- Her nickname is English Rose.
- She was married with James Threapleton between 1998 and 2001 and from 2003 is married with Sam Mendes and she gave birth to another child.
- She has two sisters Anna Winslet and Beth Winslet and a younger brother Joss.
- "I'd rather do theater and British films than move to Los Angeles
in hopes of getting small roles in American films."
- "It's very important for me to make the statement that I am English and just because I've done one really big film, it doesn't mean that I don't want to keep a finger in the fantastic British film industry and do films like this."
- "I like exposing myself. There's not an awful lot that embarrasses me. I'm the kind of actress that absolutely believes in exposing myself."
- "I was on the tube just before Christmas. and this girl turned round to me and said, 'Are you Kate Winslet?'. And I said, 'Well, yes. I am actually'. And she said, 'And you're getting the tube?' And I said, 'Yes'. And she said, 'Don't you have a big car that drives you around?' And I said, 'No'. And she was absolutely stunned that I wasn't being driven round in some flash car all the time. It was ludicrous."
- Gnomeo and Juliet (2008) (in production) (voice)
- Revolutionary Road (2008) (post-production)
- The Holiday (2006)
- Flushed Away (2006) (voice)
- All the King's Men (2006)
- Little Children (2006)
- Romance & Cigarettes (2005)
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- Pride (2004) (TV) (voice)
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
- The Life of David Gale (2003)
- Plunge: The Movie (2003)
- Iris (2001/I)
- Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001) (voice)
- Enigma (2001)
- War Game (2001) (voice)
- Quills (2000)
- Holy Smoke (1999)
- Faeries (1999) (voice)
- Hideous Kinky (1998)
- Titanic (1997)
- Hamlet (1996)
- Jude (1996)
- Sense and Sensibility (1995)
- A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
- Heavenly Creatures (1994)
- "Casualty" (1 episode, 1993)
- "Get Back" (2 episodes, 1992)
- Anglo Saxon Attitudes (1992) (TV)
- "Dark Season" (6 episodes, 1991)
- Shrinks (1990) (TV).
Kate Winslet Image : wikimedia.org
Kate Winslet News
Kate Winslet Lists