Gong Li was born on the 31st of December 1965 in Shenyang, Liaoning Province, China. She is an international famous actress.
Biography and Career :
Gong Li was born on 31 December, 1965, in Shenyang, China. She is a Chinese-born film actress.
Gong grew up in Jinan, the capital of Shandong, and she is the youngest in a family of five children. In 1985, Gong was denied entrance at China’s top music school. Shortly after, she was accepted to the prestigious Central Academy of Drama in Beijing and graduated in 1989.
While still a student, Gong was discovered by Zhang Yimou, a film director, who chose her for the lead role in Red Sorghum.
In the several years after her 1987 debut in Red Sorghum, Gong gained international acclaim for her roles in several more Zhang Yimou fil
ms: She appeared in Ju Dou in 1990; Her performance in the Oscar-nominated Raise the Red Lantern got her international fame; In The Story of Qiu Ju, Gong was named Best Actress at the 1992 Venice Film Festival.
These are roles that established her reputation.
She received a New York Film Critics Circle award in 1993, for her role in Farewell My Concubine. Directed by Chen Kaige, the film was her first major role with a director other than Zhang Yimou, the one that promoted her. In 2006, her performance got ranked by Premiere Magazine in Farewell My Concubine as the 89th greatest performances of all time.
Gong avoided Hollywood for years, due to a lack of confidence in speaking English. She made her English speaking debut back in 2005 when Gong starred as the beautiful but vindictive Hatsumomo in the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. Gong Li was voted the most beautiful woman in China in 2006.
Why is Gong Li Famous?
Gong Li is most famous for the movie Raise the Red Lantern and The Story of Qiu Ju, she was nominated for Oscar after the first one, and was named Best Actress for the second one.
Why do we love Gong Li?
We love Gong Li because of her great performance in many of her films.
- Height: 170 cm
- She appeared in People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People
- Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman are two of her favorite actors
- She is an L'Oreal ambassador for beauty
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! (2009)
- Hannibal Rising (2007)
- Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia (2006)
- Miami Vice (2006)
- Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)
- Eros (2004)
- 2046 (2004)
- Zhou Yu de huo che (2002)
- Piao liang ma ma (2000)
- Jing ke ci qin wang (1998)
- Chinese Box (1997)
- Feng yue (1996)
- Yao a yao yao dao waipo qiao (1995)
- Xi chu bawang (1994)
- Huozhe (1994)
- Hua hun (1994)
- Xin tian long ba bu zhi tian shan tong lao (1994)
- Tang Bohu dian Qiuxiang (1993)
- Ba wang bie ji (1993)
- Meng xing shi fan (1992)
- Qiu Ju da guan si (1992)
- Da hong deng long gao gao gua (1991)
- Du xia II: Shang Hai tan du sheng (1991)
- Ju Dou (1990)
- Qin yong (1990)
- Daihao meizhoubao (1989)
- Hoi sam gui miu ba (1989)
- Xi tai hou (1989)
- Hong gao liang (1987)
- "People keep pushing me to be the center of attention... I would prefer to be on the sidelines, because that's where you see more."
Gong Li Image Source : chinanews.com.cn
Gong Li News
Gong Li Lists