Catalina Sandino Moreno was born on April 19, 1981 and she is an Academy Award-nominated Colombian actress. Catalina Sandino Moreno's height: 5' 5"/165 cm.
Biography and Career :
Catalina Sandino Moreno was born in Bogota, Colombia to a pathologist mother. Before becoming an actress, Catalina Sandino Moreno studied advertising at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogota.
Catalina Sandino Moreno became interested in acting at an early age. In 1997, while still in high school, she enrolled in the Ruben Di Pietro theatre academy in Bogota. During her four years at the academy, she acted in such productions as "Acuerdo para Cambiar de Casa" by Griselda Gambaro, "The Dark Room" by Tennessee Wiliams, and "Laughing Wild" by Christopher Durand.
Catalina Sandino Moreno relocat
ed to New York City in 2004, after she was "discovered" at the Ruben Di Pietro acting school in Bogota. Catalina Sandino Moreno was then referred to a casting audition for the 2004 film Maria Full of Grace where she beat over 900 girls for the lead role.
Catalina Sandino Moreno received a nomination for Best Actress at the 77th Academy Awards.
- 2005 Best Female Lead Award in the Independent Spirit Awards.
- 2004 Silver Berlin Bear for Best Actress in the Berlin International Film Festival.
- 2004 Most Promising Performer in the Chicago Film Critics Association Awards.
- 2004 Breakthrough Award in the Gotham Awards.
- 2004 New generation Award in the Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards.
- 2005 Golden Space Needle Award for Best Actress in the Seattle International Film Festival.
Catalina Sandino Moreno has lived with David Elwell from 2002 to the present. She married him on 15 April 2006 in a small ceremony held in Cartagena de Indias. Catalina Sandino Moreno reads Spanish-language books because she misses her native language. Catalina Sandino Moreno is the first Colombian to be nominated for an Academy Award, and was in New York when she heard on TV that she was nominated for Best Actress in the 2005 Oscar race for her role in Maria Full of Grace.
- Took acting classes at a Bogota (Colombia) theater before getting "discovered" by an anonymous supporter who referred her name to the casting agent for Maria Full of Grace (2004).
- Studied advertising at a college in Colombia before moving to New York City around 2003.
- Lives with David Elwell (2002-present).
- Reads Spanish books because she misses hearing the language back home in Colombia.
- She is the first Colombian to be nominated for an Academy Award
- Mother is a pathologist.
- Went to a British school in Bogota, Colombia.
- Was in NY when she heard on TV that she was nominated for Best Actress in the 2005 Oscar for her role in 'Maria Full of Grace.'
- Went to Saint George's School in Bogota, Colombia
- Was one of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People" in 2005
- Invited to join AMPAS in 2005.
- Became interested in theater and stage at a very young age.
- Became the first actress ever to be nominated to Best Actress at the Oscars for a role that is spoken entirely in Spanish.
- Won Best Actress at the 2004 Cartagena Film Festival in her home country Columbia.
- ...if you do theater in Colombia you'll die from hunger. Now I'm living in New York City. It's changed my whole point of view on everything. Being independent, having a little apartment, cooking. In Colombia you live with your parents until you're twenty-five and get a job and then get married.
- I was coming from Spain and I was going through customs and gave them my passport to stamp. These two guys were like: "You're the girl from 'Maria'! Can I take my picture with you?" I was like: "Yeah! Of course! But can I take a picture with you?" It was awesome. A year before, the customs were the ones stopping me and causing me a headache. So I took a picture of him with me because I know that Josh wouldn't believe me.
- In Colombia, in all of the soap operas, there's a beauty queen, a model and the guy lead is from Ecuador or Peru or Venezuela, but not from Colombia. People like to see on the screen tall, skinny, beautiful models with blond or black hair who dress sexy. The way I dress and the way maybe I am, they didn't like me.
- "It is amazing. None of us ever expected ['Maria Full of Grace'] to be so big. It was a film that was made with all the love in the world and it is being so well received. We would have never expected it."
- "I think you use method when you're in trouble with a character. Not being prepared in New York for what would happen to our characters in 'Maria Full of Grace' made us imagine and discover."
- "I love theater. Theater is the most amazing thing ever. I want to keep learning and I think that by doing as much theater as I can, it will make me a better actress for film."
- The Heart of the Earth (2007) (filming) (attached) .... Blanca Bosco
- The Hottest State (2007) (post-production) (attached) .... Sarah
- Fast Food Nation (2006)
- Paris, je t'aime (2006) .... (segment "16th arrondissement")
- Journey to the End of the Night (2006) .... Angie
- Maria Full of Grace (2004) .... Maraa Alvarez
... aka Maria Full of Grace (International: English title)
... aka Maria, llena eres de gracia (Colombia)
Catalina Sandino Moreno Lists
Catalina Sandino Moreno Pictures