Billy Joel (real name William Martin Joel) was born on May 9, 1949 in Bronx, New York, USA. He is a famous singer, songwriter, composer and pianist.
Biography and Career :
At an early age he started taking piano lessons and loving music, especially the classic music. His career started as a member of "Echoes" group. Except that he was member of the Hassles and Attila. He attended the Hicksville High School. After signing a contract with Artie Ripp of Family Productions he released his first solo album, called "Cold Spring Harbor" in 1971.
Album after another they were all successful and soon he became a famous artist in the whole world. He had concerts on all the continents and the number of his fans is impressive. During the years he won six Grammy Awards. He had Top 10 hi
ts in the '70s, '80s and '90s and his singles were listed in every house.
On September 5, 1973 he married Elizabeth Weber, but in 1982 they divorced. He remarried on March 23, 1985 with Christie Brinkley. The couple has one child, Alexa Ray Joel, and in 1995 divorced. On October 2, 2004 he remarried, this time with Katie Lee Joel.
He is part of the Songwriter's Hall of Fame (Class of 1992), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Class of 1999) and the Long Island Music Hall of Fame (Class of 2006). In 1993 he stopped recording but in the present he is still going on tours. He sings the piano, vocals, organ, keyboards, guitar, harmonica and accordion and rock, pop and classical genre.
- Height: 166 cm
- He has sold 77.5 million copies of albums and is the third musician in the history after Garth Brooks and Elvis Presley.
- "There's nothing better than good sex. But bad sex? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is better than bad sex."
- "I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music."
- "I look in the mirror and I go: you're a rock star? It's funny I don't look like a rock star, I don't walk around thinking like a rock star. I'm just this shmegdorf walking around and somebody confronts me and goes BILLY JOEL! and I'm like: Right, I'm that guy."
- "I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints."
- "I remember most of us who were there didn't like the song, but nobody would say so. I think Cyndi Lauper leaned over to me and said, 'It sounds like a Pepsi commercial.' And I didn't disagree."
- Saturday Night Live (4 episodes, 1978-1993)
- Billy Joel: Eye of the Storm (1990) (V)
- Oliver & Company (1988).
Billy Joel Image : udel.edu
Billy Joel Articles
Billy Joel News
Billy Joel Lists