Beverley Knight was born on March 22, 1973 in Wolverhampton, West Midlands, England, UK. She is a critically-acclaimed English soul and R&B singer, songwriter, and record producer.
Biography and Career :
She attended the Woodfield Infants and Junior School and Highfields Science Specialist School in Wolverhampton. The first time she heard music was in the church. She began loving it and soon, when she was thirteen years old, she was writing her own songs.
In 1994 she signed a contract with Dome Records. After one year she released her debut album called "The B-Funk". Between 1998 and 2007 she released another five albums: "Prodigal Sista", "Who I Am", "Affirmation", "Voice - The Best of Beverley Knight" and "Music City Soul". All of her singles and albums entered the charts
quickly and were situated very high. She received the Member of the Order of the British Empire award in the 2006 Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to music.
In 1996 she won at the Black Music Awards the award for Best R&B Act and Best Producer. After two years at the MOBO Awards she won the Best R&B Act award which she had also won in 1999. In 1999 she won another award for Best Album. Also in 1999 she won the Best British Music Act award at the E.M.M.A Awards. In 2004 she won the Lifetime Achievement award at the Urban Music Awards. Besides these awards she has received many nominations too. She is a popular artist not only in the United Kingdom. Her fans are all over the world and they support her. She received honorary degree from the University of Wolverhampton and was made a Doctor of Music.
- She has Jamaican origins.
- In 2004 she was part of the Band Aid 20 re-recording of "Do They Know It's Christmas?".
- "That's the industry for you, the people who should get the props don't get it till they are 80 and then it's a Lifetime Achievement award."
- "I'm much more of a performance person. I love writing songs and I love putting them down in the studio. The other bits -- the promotional aspects -- are more difficult, but it's all forgiven when I get on the stage. It's an experience which is hard to describe. It's so great -- it's probably my most favorite bit."
- "I am proud to say I am Black, female and British but it is still all me, I have not forgotten my roots. I am enormously proud to be receiving this award, it is a great honour and also very humbling."
- Premonition (2004) (TV).
- 1995 The B-Funk
- 1998 Prodigal Sista
- 2002 Who I Am
- 2004 Affirmation
- 2006 Voice - The Best of Beverley Knight
- 2007 Music City Soul.
Beverley Knight Image : news.bbc.co.uk
Beverley Knight Lists