Anna Kournikova (full name Anna Sergeyevna Kournikova) was born on June 7, 1981. She is a retired Russian professional tennis player. Anna Kournikova Height : 5'8"/173 cm.
Biography and Career :
At ages 13 and 14, Anna Kournikova made headlines in international junior tennis, winning several tournaments including the 1995 Italian Open. She was 14 years old when she ended 1995 as Junior European Champion Under 18 and ITF Junior World Champion Under 18.
Anna Kournikova debuted in professional tennis at age 14 in the Fed Cup for Russia, the youngest player ever to participate and win. At age 15, she reached the fourth round of the 1996 U.S. Open, only to be stopped by then-top ranked player, Steffi Graf.
Anna Kournikova was a member of the Russian delegation to the 1996 Oly
mpic Games in Atlanta, Georgia. In 1997, as a 16-year-old, she reached the semi-finals of Wimbledon, where she lost to the eventual champion, Martina Hingis by a score of 6-3, 6-2. 1998 was her breakthrough year, when she broke into the WTA's top 20 rankings for the first time and scored impressive victories over Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport, and Steffi Graf. Kournikova's two Grand Slam doubles titles came in 1999 and 2002, both at the Australian Open in the Women's Doubles event with partner Martina Hingis, with whom she played frequently starting in 1999.
Most of Kournikova's fame has come from the publicity surrounding her personal life as well as numerous modeling shoots. During her debut at the 1996 U.S. Open at the age of 15, Kournikova's physical beauty was noticed by the world and soon pictures of her appeared in numerous magazines all over the planet.
Kournikova's marital status has been an issue on several occasions. There were conflicting rumors about whether or not she was engaged to hockey player Pavel Bure. There were reports that she married NHL hockey star Sergei Fedorov in 2001. Kournikova's representatives have denied this, but Fedorov stated in 2003 that the couple had married and since divorced. Kournikova currently has a relationship with pop star Enrique Iglesias (in whose video, "Escape", she appeared), and rumors that the couple had secretly married appeared in 2003 and again in 2005. Kournikova herself has consistently refused to directly confirm or deny rumors about the status of her personal relationships.
WTA Tour Titles :
Singles Finalist :
- 1998: Miami (lost to Venus Williams)
- 1999: Hilton Head (lost to Martina Hingis)
- 2000: Moscow (lost to Martina Hingis)
- 2002: Shanghai (lost to Anna Smashnova)
- 1998 Tokyo [Princess Cup] (w/Seles)
- 1999 Australian Open, Season-Ending Championships, Indian Wells, Rome, Eastbourne (all w/Hingis)
- 2000 Season-Ending Championships, Filderstadt, Zurich, Philadelphia (all w/Hingis), Gold Coast (w/Halard-Decugis), Hamburg (w/Zvereva)
- 2001 Sydney (w/Schett), Moscow (w/Hingis)
- 2002 Australian Open (w/Hingis), Shanghai (w/J.Lee)
- "I'm like a menu at an expensive restaurant, you can look at me, but you can't afford me"
- "I'm beautiful, famous and gorgeous."
- 2002: Appears in the new Enrique Iglesias video "Escape".
- Her fastest serve was clocked at 111.2 mph during the Paris Indoors of 1998.
- Has a tattoo of a sun design on her lower back, which made its "debut" at the 2003 Australian Open. Oddly, she denied having it, telling reporters that it was actually a heat patch to treat back pain.
- Knocked out of Wimbledon in the first round. [June 2002]
- Has never won a major tennis tournament, as of January 2004.
- Ranked 299th in the world (as of October 2003).
1. Me, Myself & Irene (2000) .... Motel Manager.
Anna Kournikova News
Anna Kournikova Lists