Akon (full name Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam) was born in 1981 in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. He is a record producer, songwriter and singer.
Biography and Career :
His father is Mor Thiam, who is a jazz percussionist. He spent his childhood in Dakar, Senegal until he was seven years old. When he was fifteen years old his parents decided to remain permanently in Jersey City, New Jersey. He started writing songs and recording them in his studio at home.
In 2004 he released "Trouble", his first LP. He entered tops with his songs and top five on the Billboard Hot 100. After two years it was released "Konvicted" and he had a great success. At a moment he had nine songs in the Billboard Hot 100. This album includes collaborations with famous hip-
hop artists. Some of the songs on that album that had great success are "Smack That", "I Wanna Love You", "Don't Matter", "Mama Africa", "Sorry, Blame It on Me" and "Never Took The Time". These all are singles.
At the 49th Annual Grammy Awards he was nominated at the category Best Rap/Sung Collaboration with the song "Smack That". He is married to Tomeka. He likes children and wants to help them very much so he has a foundation called Konfidence Foundation in Africa.
- He speaks fluent English, French and Wolof.
- He has his own diamond mine in Africa.
- He has more that 4000 pairs of shoes.
- "I really don't bite my tongue for anybody and I always felt like if you're going to be real, you got to be truthful all the way around the board. Lies only make things worse. But it got to a point where my coming out like that ended up being a mistake."
- "I don't even believe in conflict diamonds. That's just a movie. Think about it. Ain't nobody thought about nothing about no conflict diamonds until the movie came out."
- "I love Phil Collins. "In The Air Tonight" is an incredible song. I hope to work with Phil. He's got an amazing vocal tone. His vocal tone makes me cry."
- BET Awards 2007 (2007) (TV)
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards '07 (2007) (TV).
- Trouble 2004
- Konvicted 2006.
Akon Image : nba.com