K.D. Lang (full name Kathryn Dawn Lang) was born on November 2, 1961 in Consort, Alberta, Canada
. She is a Grammy Award-winning Canadian singer and songwriter.
Biography and Career :
She is the daughter of Adam Frederick Lang (commonly known as Fred and Audrey wh was a school teacher. She has three siblings John (born in 1950) Jo Ann (born in 1955) and Keltie (born in 1958).
In high school K was very good at music, playing guitar and piano and also won a javelin competition. She attended Red Deer College to learn music and after she graduated she moved in Edmonton where she founded a band called "The Reclines".
After she recorded in 1982 her first single "Friday Dance Promenade", one year later it appeare
d her first album A Truly Western Experience. Soon after this her fame grew up and in 1985 she won a Juno for Most Promising Female.
In the next year signed a contract in America with Sire Records and made the single Angel with a Lariat which was very appreciated in US and Canada. Her next very big hit was a duet with Roy Orbison called "Crying" and after this in 1988 another golden one called Shadowland.
"Absolute Torch and Twang" released in 1989 brought her, her first Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance The year 1992 was a terrific one for the singer because she won her second Grammy with "Ingenue" and the album became platinum one in US, UK and Australia
. It also was a Top 40 Hits album.
After she recorded other successful singles and albums like: All You Can Eat (1995), Drag (1997), Invincible Summer (2000), and a live album, Live By Request (2001).
- Height: 175cm
- She was born at 2:03am.
- She is a vegetarian.
- She was the Winner of the 1995 Brit Award for International Female.
- She appeared on the first cover of "Entertainment Weekly" magazine (2/16/1990).
- "You have to respect your audience. Without them, you're essentially standing alone, singing to yourself."
- "Sometimes, music is unexplainable. You can try to control it, but it ultimately follows its own pace and evolution."
- "I think masculinity is bravado against the mystery of the universe of women. It's just a fear of not knowing what women have that's so powerful. It's this shield they put up to try to get closer."
- "One of the reasons I wouldn't sleep with a man is because I wouldn't feel equal, both in that I feel more spiritually advanced than men, and because society places men over women. How do you feel equal when you're with a man?"
- A Truly Western Experience (1984)
- Angel with a Lariat (1987)
- Shadowland (1988)
- Absolute Torch and Twang (1989)
- Ingenue (1992)
- Even Cowgirls Get the Blues [soundtrack] 1993
- All You Can Eat (1995)
- Drag (1997)
- Invincible Summer (2000)
- Live by Request (2001)
- A Wonderful World (2002)
- Hymns of the 49th Parallel (2004)
- Reintarnation A compilation of her early country based songs. (2006)
- Watershed, due to be released 2008.
K.D. Lang Image : nowtoronto.com
K.D. Lang Lists