Jerome K. Jerome (entire name Jerome Klapka Jerome) was born on May 2, 1859 in a small town in center England. He was a teacher, a journalist and an actor.
Biography and Career :
He did his middle classes in the town where he was born and then his father died. That's why he had to get a job when he was still very young. He was a teacher, a journalist and an actor.
As a result of his work as an actor he wrote in 1885 "On the Stage and Off. The Brief Career of a Would be Actor". In the same year he wrote his first theatre play "Barbara".
In 1889 appeared "Stage-Land", "Three Men in a Boat", "Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow" the last one would bring him the success.
The volume "Told After Supper" was published in 1891and between 1890-1891 "Diary of a Pilgrimage".
me K. Jerome became one of the founders of The Idler Magazine in 1892.
Between the years 1893-1897 Jerome founded also the weekly magazine Today.
In 1894 he was said to be the most popular writer in all the countries where it was spoken English language.
From 1897 till 1902 he published "Sketches in Lavender, Blue and Green", "Three Men on the Bummel", "The Second Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow", the autobiographical novel "Paul Kelver".
He came back to drama between 1907-1908 (? 1910) with the play "The passing on the Third Floor Back".
Jerome wrote in 1908 the volume "The Angel, The Author and Others".
In 1923 there was published "Anthony John" translated immediately in other languages.
One year before his death in 1926 he took the risk to publish the autobiographical writing "My Life and Times".
In June 1927 he was withdrawn from the public life and he passed away alone.
Important Writings :
- 1885 "On the Stage and Off. The Brief Career of a Would be Actor"
- 1885 "Barbara"
- 1889 "Stage-Land"
- 1889 "Three Men in a Boat"
- 1889 "Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow"
- 1891 "Told After Supper"
- 1890-1891 "Diary of a Pilgrimage"
- 1897 "Sketches in Lavender, Blue and Green"
- 1900 "Three Men on the Bummel"
- 1901 "The Second Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow"
- 1902 "Paul Kelver"
- 1905 "Idle Thoughts"
- 1907-1908 "The passing on the Third Floor Back"
- 1908 "The Angel, The Author and Others"
- 1923 "Anthony John"
- 1926 "My Life and Times"
- "Love is like the measles; we all have to go through it."
- "We are so bound together that no man can labor for himself alone. Each blow he strikes in his own behalf helps to mold the universe."
- "What I am looking for is a blessing not in disguise."
Jerome K. Jerome Image : msu.edu
Jerome K. Jerome Lists