Gillian Welch was born on the 2nd of October 1967 in Manhattan, New York, USA and is a musician.
Biography and Career :
She is a singer and songwriter who sings bluegrass, neotraditional country, Americana, old time, folk and American Primitivism and plays the guitar, banjo, drums and harmonica.
Usually she is helped by a musical partner, David Rawlings, who does the close-harmonies and unconventional guitar work.
She was adopted when she was sonly three days old and in 1971 moved with her family in Los Angeles.
In 1975 she wanted a guitar as her birthday present and of course she received it and not only this, but also guitar lessons.
This is how her career and passion for music started.
She had attended the University of California, Santa Cruz.
In 1996 she released he
r solo debut album, called "Revival" and received a Grammy nomination for Best Contemporary Folk Album.
Ryan Adams was her collaborator on the albums "Heartbreaker" and "Destroyer".
In 2004 she went on tour with Rawlings, Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, and Buddy Miller as 'The Sweet Harmony Traveling Revue'.
Since then she and her partner also went on tours with Old Crow Medicine Show and Bright Eyes on their American Cassadaga tour.
She is a very talented person and has many fans all over the world.
- 1996 Revival
- 1998 Hell Among the Yearlings
- 2001 Time (The Revelator)
- 2003 Soul Journey
- Live from Bonnaroo 2004 (2005) (V)
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
- "Everything's not supposed to sound the same, you want it to reflect change and growth."
- "The spirit of the performance transcends the notes themselves. I don't like to see musicians reading charts in the studio. It's better if everyone is playing, listening... even guessing. That's when good things happen."
Gillian Welch Image Source : theage.com.au
Gillian Welch Lists